Saturday, May 7, 2011

and the stress continues to waft away...

Yep, another day in the win column. That makes six now. And seriously, I don't think I need four weeks to ensure this whole idea of "focusing" becomes a habit. It's just so rewarding that I can't imagine allowing myself slip back into my old multi-tasking-on-steroids ways. It may take a little vigilance, but I really do think that I've finally found a strategy that works for me. Am I in actuality getting any more done than I used to? I doubt it. But it's the state of mind thing. When I see real progress in one area, I've been able to let go and not stress about everything else still left to do. I know, it seems so simple...but what can I say--I inherited a fierce stubborn streak from my Mom and giving up my old ways hasn't come easy. It's come in fits and starts and practice runs. This past week though, it feels like the real deal.

Yesterday was a fun day. How could it not be when the focus is "gifts," right? Unfortunately, I only got one small gift made, but I did other things I hadn't really planned on getting to. Down in my laundry/gift area of the basement, I have two sets of shelves whose purpose was to hold gifts as I made or bought them throughout the year. And they served their purpose well for the first couple years we lived in this house. But they slowly, or maybe not so slowly, became a dumping ground. Eventually they couldn't hold another gift...or at least I wouldn't want them to for fear I'd never be able to find it again. So yesterday, I buckled down and began clearing those bad boys out. I almost finished one whole set. The amount of stuff heading out to the thrift store...sheesh. And we're talking new stuff. Including stuff I had bought as gifts, and obviously forgot about. Anyway, that was the boring part...but I did have some fun, too. I wrapped a few things for Mother's Day and Chris' birthday.






















And I made a bunch of wrapping paper. Even had a helper for a while. :)

















These are a few of the favorites I made today:


















And today's focus, well, it's back to the kitchen...

2 comments:

DesLily said...

how fun! I can't even imagine growing up with a mom that did stuff like this! (I don't blame my mom she had to work to support 2 kids by herself) but still... this would have been fabulous!

Unknown said...

I love the idea of homemade wrapping paper. Totally cute!