Friday, August 12, 2011

amidst the pages...

My oh my, but has my reading been slow as of late. Life works that way sometimes though, doesn't it? And you know, despite the fact that I haven't spent much time reading this past week, I did manage to finish two books. Of course, that's because I was most of the way through both of them before the week began. ;)

M Is for Magic by Neil Gaiman. I actually started this book of short stories a couple of years ago. But as I am apt to do with books of short stories, I read a few and then got distracted for a few (or more) months, picked it back up and read a few more, got distracted again... The silly thing being that this time around I picked it up and found that the last two stories (or rather one story and one poem) were ones I'd actually read before. I read them again though...because they're both delightful. :) In fact, his poem "Instructions" is one of my all-time favorites and I find I only love it more with every reading. A couple of my other favorites from this book--"Don't Ask Jack" and "October in the Chair." So...what did I think of the collection as a whole? I adored it! Simply adored it. I don't think there was a single story that I felt let down by...and really, how often can you say that about a book of short stories.

Well, turns out I can "almost" say it about the other book I finished this week, too. Another book of short stories, in this case fairy tale retellings. Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue. I did like some of the stories more than others. I'm afraid I can't be much more specific though as I can't remember their names and it was a library book which I already returned. I can say that the more I read by Emma Donoghue, the more I'm convinced I need to read everything she ever wrote. :)

After finishing both of those books, I figured I deserved to start a new fiction read. (Yeah, like I ever seem to need an excuse to start a new book no matter how many I have going. :P ) Anyway, I started The Darker Side by Cody McFadyen, the third in his series featuring Smoky Barrett. I'm only one chapter in, but already I'm hooked. I realize I don't read as many psychological thrillers as I once did, but damn--can this guy write a disturbing, engrossing book!

On the non-fiction side, I've been dipping back into The Householder's Guide to the Universe by Harriet Fasenfest. Oh how I love this book. Yes, I love the kitchen and gardening stuff, but what I really love is her worldview. It's just really nice to pick up a book and just unexpectedly find that someone shares your thoughts on so many things. Sure I expected to find that she loved gardening and canning, etc. But I didn't expect to find a kindred spirit when it comes to how we view our whole economic system. Anyway, I'm only about a quarter of the way through the book, but I'm enjoying it immensely.

And aside from textbooks, the only other thing I've been reading this past week is The Equality Illusion by Kat Banyard. I can't thank Ana enough for reviewing this one. I've only read the intro and the first chapter thus far, but let me tell you, it is SO. DAMN. GOOD. I can't for the life of me imagine it not making my top five favorite books of the year. Despite the fact that it is so utterly depressing.

And you? What's the best thing you've read this week?

2 comments:

Jean said...

I finished A Dance with Dragons, the fifth book of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. I got hooked watching Game of Thrones on HBO; I read that book in bits after each episode. I was not about to wait a year to read the second book as the second season aired. Now I have to wait several years, I expect, for the next installment.

DesLily said...

I've once again stepped out of my "safe box" and am reading Wilke Collins, The Moonstone. I loved his Woman in White and this is every bit as good!

am patiently waiting for RIP!!