Thursday, September 8, 2011

off to a good start...

I sort of feel like I'm cheating saying that I've finished my first three reads for RIP. I was all but about fifty pages through the first book before RIP started, and the second two are mangas. But already I'm feeling the huge loss of "fun reading" time now that school has started, so I'm just going to take what I can get.

Abandoned by Cody McFayden was my first RIP read, falling in that suspense/thriller type category. This is the fourth book in this series featuring Smoky Barrett. Even at book four, this series has not lost its touch. And by "touch," I mean the ability to totally creep me out and leave me feeling completely unsettled. Every book leaves one feeling as if they know this group of FBI agents even better than before. None are perfect. In fact some of their flaws are hard to get past, and yet these people are all the more real because of them. And yeah, I do like them. But the stories...whoa. Think Criminal Minds on steroids. Seriously, they are that disturbing. So what does it say about me that I get so sucked into these books, that I absolutely never want to put them down. I don't know--after much pondering, I still haven't figured it out. All I know is that I can't wait until the next book is available. :)

Higurashi When They Cry, the Abducted by Demons arc, was disturbing in its own way. These two books cross genres--they are a mystery and/or a horror story and/or supernatural. And that is part of what makes them so fun. It depends on how you read them. The ambiguity is enticing, and it leaves one wondering what it is that is really going on. Is there a curse? Are the residents of a small Japanese town really committing murder? Is the narrator simply going insane? You read them and decide. Annie sort of forced these on me. :P But I'm not at all sorry that she did.












So, where am I heading from here for RIP? Well, I've started (or should I say restarted) reading Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers, though my decreased reading time has only allowed me to get about three chapters in. And thanks to Carl's review, I put The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath the Bed on hold at the library and was able to pick it up today. Am giddily excited to crack it open! And who knows, maybe this weekend we can even make time for a spooky flick.

Oh, before I forget yet again...could anyone tell me if The Book of Lost Things would be appropriate for RIP? Or is more of a Once Upon a Time kind of book?

6 comments:

Kailana said...

Good start! I always like to feel a sense of accomplishment.

Heather said...

DEBI! My DEAR Debi! You haven't read The Book of Lost Things yet????? But...but...you must! And yes, it is totally perfect for RIP. I think *I* read it for RIP a few years ago. It is amazing. Seriously. Pick it up. Go on, go get it. You will LOVE it.

And yay for great starts! I've only finished one and it was an audiobook!

My Gallery of Worlds said...

Totally want these!!! TY

DesLily said...

Ten days into rip and she has 3 of the 4 books done...and she calls it "a good start" lol..I call that nearly done! I love being done quickly (I should have signed to do only 1 book) cause then I keep reading and my final post is fun to write because I finish much more then i sign up for lol.

oh..the book of lost things is a good read.. go for it!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Great start! Makes me even more happy for you that you are enjoying what you are reading.

Thrilled your library had Mr. Whiffle, can't wait for your thoughts.

I haven't read any manga for several years and I know I'm missing out. I've got some stuff down in my basement to read, I just forget about it with the ever-growing pile of books.

Book of Lost Things, from what I've heard, is R.I.P. appropriate, so read it if you want.

Shelley said...

I don't think there's any such thing as cheating in R.I.P. We just want to hear about some great books! I was thinking about reading Book of Lost Things also. The only problems is my list is getting longer and longer as I read all these wonderful reviews! Manga is a good idea.