Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Nightschool: The Weirn Books Vols. 1-4...*really* random thoughts...

*I originally decided to read these because Annie loved them so much, and well, she really wanted me to read them.

*I'm still not entirely sure I've got the hang of reading manga. Their pace is so unique that I tend to get a bit thrown off. And yes, of course, that statement about their pace is a gross generalization--I'm sure it's not an accurate statement to lay upon an entire medium. I've honestly only even read about 15 to date. But of the ones I have read, the pace has been very fast and sometimes there's a slightly disjointed feeling to it.

*All the babbling above in no way means I don't like reading manga. It just means I'm still learning how. :)

*I freakin' love Svetlana Chmakova's art! I loved it in her Dramacon series, and I love it the Nightschool books every bit as much. Maybe more.






















*There was a character named Gray. :D He was not a nice guy. :(

*In her little "extra" at the end of the second volume, she mentioned her trips to do panels and signings at the Texas Library Association Conference in Houston, TX and the Rochester Teen Book Festival in Fairport, NY. Annie was at that Rochester Teen Book Festival, and got Dramacon signed by Svetlana Chmakova...and I'm pretty sure that was the highlight of Annie's day. :)

*So which do I like more--Dramacon or Nightschool? Such a ridiculously hard question. If I'd asked myself this question after reading just Vol. 1 and 2 of Nightschool, I'd have easily said Dramacon. Not because I wasn't enjoying Nightschool, but I hadn't been thoroughly drawn in yet. But now? Yeah, I'm hooked. :)
Of course, I still haven't answered the question, have I? These two series are just so incredibly different from each other...hmmmmm. Okay, okay...Dramacon. I think. :P See, I think I felt a little more emotionally invested in the Dramacon series. But damn, is the Nightschool series fun...in an eerie sort of way.

*I'm glad I waited until this entire story arc was done before starting to read them. However, when the next Nightschool book comes out, I'll probably not be able to make myself wait for the next arc to be complete before reading. ;)

3 comments:

Keshalyi said...

I haven't read very much manga at all (much less than you) but had the same feeling - why is this bolting along so fast?! It makes me wonder if that is how people felt in the 19th century just as novels were becoming popular

kreed said...

Here you are! I missed you all this time!

Bryn's birthday was nice. and HELLO...I didn't even send YOU a card for yours, so you are not allowed to feel guilt! I am just happy you are my friend...no birthday cards needed for any of us!

Kailana said...

I have only read the first book in this series. I have to wait for the library for the rest and then they don't even have the fourth. Dramacon by her was a bit better, but this series has potential.