Sunday, September 25, 2011

Strong Poison...random thoughts...

Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers.

Okay, we all know I couldn't "review" a book to save my life. At least I couldn't review one in any sort of polished, intelligent way. So yes, it's back to those random blatherings for me.

*Super quick "what it's about": Woman on trial for poisoning her former lover. Woman happens to be a writer of detective stories and has just written a book with an eerily similar plot. Hung jury. Determined man decides to prove her innocence before the next trial. He engages some interesting characters to help him. And so on.

*If you want to read a real review, you need go no further than Ana's. It is her I have to thank for this delightful RIP read. And it will be her who continues to pile up blame points as I continue to buy the rest of this series!

*By about the end of the second chapter, I was craving a roaring fire in a big stone fireplace, a comfy chair, a fuzzy blanket to wrap up in, and a big mug of tea. A kitty on the lap wouldn't have hurt either. Yeah, it was just one of those completely comfortable reads. Not quite comfortable as in light and airy, if that makes any sense. I mean, in a sense it was, but at the same time there was plenty to sink one's teeth into, plenty to keep the mind active...while still giving one the feeling that this book was an old friend.

*I was completely taken by surprise by how much this book charmed me. It's not that I expected something stodgy or dense, but I was caught off guard to find myself chuckling aloud on more than one occasion. And the language! Oh my...totally charmed. I can't put my finger on *what* exactly it is that I adore so much about her way with words, but I often just found myself reading passages over again just for the sheer joy of it. Some of it is likely that delightful way of the British, but I'm sure much of it is just pure talent on Sayers' part.

*Rich has decided that he really wants to read this book...and it always makes me giddily happy when we both read the same book. While we're both avid readers, we probably overlap books well less than 10% of the time...so I appreciate the ones we really get to talk about all the more. :)

*I love Miss Climpson. Love her. Love her. Love her.

*Confession: While I'm really, really, really happy I finally read this book, there is a teeny part of me that still bristles at the fact that I didn't start at the "beginning" of the series. :P And since it was you, dear Ana that turned me into such a rebel, I'm counting on you to remind me which book it is that I need to get next.

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

Wheeeeeeeee :D You need Have His Carcase next, and THEN Gaudy Night :P

Rich said...

Wanna read it.

Kailana said...

I don't know why you are always so critical, I like your book posts. :) I haven't read this series, though...

DesLily said...

well you certainly made ms ana happy lol..and had a good read besides! glad you enjoyed it !!