Thursday, January 3, 2013

more blame to dole out...

Just a quick update on the blame game.

*Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy edited by Stephen Jones. Carl mentioned this one a couple years back and it has been on my PaperbackSwap wish list ever since. Well, until now, as it finally became available, and then became mine. :)

*The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill. Okay, I have no idea if darling Heather has even read this book, and yet I'm still making her suck up a point for it. Reason being, she told me that I really needed to read The Man in the Picture. At the time, I'd never even heard of Susan Hill. But I immediately went and put her books on my PaperbackSwap wish list, and this one just came up. Sorry if this seems unfair, Heather dear, but it really is your fault. :P

*Drood by Dan Simmons. I resisted this for a long time (mostly because of its length), but finally Pat's enthusiasm over this book just got to me and I had to order it from PaperbackSwap.

*Miracle and Other Christmas Stories by Connie Willis. Again that old wish list on PaperbackSwap finally came through. I added this just about this time last year when dear Ana reviewed it. It was the perfect time of year for it to come available...if only I'd left myself any time for reading during the hustle and bustle of the holidays.

*Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link. If I'd seen this book at a used book store or a thrift store, I likely would have picked it up anyway. But it was Ana's review that made me actively seek it out. Thanks yet again, PaperbackSwap. And thanks again, dear Ana, though it also comes with a bit of "Must you keep doing this to me???" :P

And now, the Christmas loot that came attached with blame:

*One Girl Cookies by Dawn Casale & David Crofton. There was never any doubt in my mind that I would buy this book, it being Chris's favorite cookbook. The fact that he gave it to me before I had a chance to buy it does not save him from shouldering the blame for it.

*I Hunt Killer by Barry Lyga. After reading Christina's review I practically begged Rich to get me this one for Christmas. And he did. :D

*After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. First heard about this book from Susan. It was going to be mine--apocalyptic/dystopian, short stories, edited by Datlow and Windling--no question.

And as this wraps up last year's blame-laden acquisitions, I guess it's time to call this round finished. Anyone surprised to hear that Ana is the winner??? See!!! This is why I have to devote the entire Long-Awaited Reads Month solely to books she's made me buy! :P (Ana, I shall email you to find out if there's a book you're dying to get or if I should just surprise you.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rich got you I Hunt Killers?!? Woo-hoo!! That is a fabulous book!

Megan said...

I picked up a copy of Drood at a used book sale. It is pretty massive, isn't it? But I've heard only good things.

I'm super curious about After - it sounds like it would be right up my alley!

chrisa511 said...

A FANTASTIC bunch of books here my dear :D :D :D I can't wait to see what you try first from One Girl Cookies!!! Have you made anything yet???

DesLily said...

hooray for Drood! lol I've read it twice! if you have any interest at all in Wilkie Collins or Charles Dickens I doubt you could come away NOT liking the book!

speaking of Wilkie.. I just finished Dead Secret and really liked it!!! I do like his writing over Dickens. I am always amazed that he wasn't as famous.