Saturday, April 20, 2013

it's Saturday already...

...and thus time for Saturday Farmers Market again! And once again, I feel like I don't really have much to report. Our farmers markets don't start until the beginning of June, and we've done no outside planting yet. But we're getting closer on a couple of fronts.


Last week that tray on the bottom right had newly planted seeds...this week we've got loads of pepper seedlings and broccoli and cauliflower seedlings too. From the looks of things, I do believe I missed planting an entire row though. Oops. :P And on the top of the plant light, newly planted tomato seeds--three cherry tomato and 45 Bonny Bests (love those for canning, and for fresh eating). Plus parsley, cilantro, basil, oregano, and marjoram.

And...Rich started getting our soon-to-be strawberry patch ready:


This thing here that Rich is dismantling was part of a playground unit left here by the previous owners of this house. But the thing was totally rotting out. In fact, Rich was a bit nervous sitting up there, afraid he was going to fall through. But he got the top railings removed, and in this picture is starting to take off the floor. When he got enough of the floor off to make it not quite so heavy, he and the boys tipped it over. Then he measured the posts and sawed them off at the height of the wire garden fencing. Yep, we're upcycling the bottom portion of the thing to become the fencing for our strawberry patch. Here it is moved into position in the yard (though it still needs leveled out):


We had hoped to get the soil prepared this weekend and get the strawberry plants that Chris so generously sent us planted and get the fencing put up around it (necessary because of all the bunnies and groundhogs), but it's looking like that's not going to happen. Weather is not cooperating. In fact, it's snowing like crazy right now, and is supposed to turn to rain for a bit before stopping. But maybe we'll be able to tackle that soil later today, or tomorrow. :)

7 comments:

DesLily said...

awww Rich is a farmer at heart too!! :o) I hope you get to plant things soon but even in NJ it was the end of May before we could plant *sigh*... I have to tell you how much I loved the swamp photo's that you posted on tumblr!!!!! OMG! they are fantastic Debi!!!

ok back to gardening.. I hope everything grows once in the ground and the next "complaint" I hear is how much jaring and freezing you are doing! :o)...Happy Saturday !!

Susan said...

We've had tiny snowflakes today too :-( no getting into the garden to tidy! yours is looking far better than mine, by the way, far neater. Glad Rich didn't fall through, too.

Thoughts of gardening to sustain us - oh, just as I wrote the above, it started to snow here too!!

Jean said...

You are so organized! All I've done today is grocery shopping and pie (one) making. I'll probably put the blog post about that up tomorrow. Going out to dinner with one of Blaine's old friends tonight. I shall have to impersonate a sociable adult.

Beth F said...

I remember when we used to have trays of seeds and grow lights! Now our yard is too shady for veggies.

chrisa511 said...

I'm so jealous of your seed trays and your grow lights!! I really want to get grow lights one of these days. I love them! I also love that y'all upcycle :) It makes me smile so much!!! I can't wait to see the strawberry patch once it's in!

Ali said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe you have snow! Good for you for upcycling, and for nurturing those baby plants. Your garden is going to be amazing--just as soon as it stops snowing!

Heather said...

OMGOSH those baby plants are so adorable!!! I LOVE THEM. I'm like Chris, I am so jealous of your whole set up. Someday, Heather. Someday. *sigh*